Prot: 20 g, Carbs: 19 g, Fat: 16 g, Cal: 298
Banana + Toffee = Banoffee. Banana + toffee whey filling + chocolate protein pie crust + cashew banana toffee whipped cream = Protein Banoffee Pie!
I have to admit that when I received a reader request for Protein Banoffee Pie recently, I googled banoffee pie for more info. It’s not a dessert I had ever tasted. And the more I read, the more I thought, “This is why I love my readers!” Banana, toffee, and chocolate. Heaven!
I had a friend in town from California the weekend I made this pie, and she hadn’t ever heard of it either. I brought it to Central Park for our picnic before spin class, and she quickly became a fan!
You’ll notice I used a little carob powder in the pie filling, and that was intentional. Carob gives the caramel, toffee type of flavor we’re looking for here. Paired with the True Athlete creamy vanilla whey protein, the filling is amazing! And with the bananas, chocolate pie crust, and sweet banana whipped cream, this pie is such an indulgent treat!
If you love banana and whipped cream desserts, give this Protein Banoffee Pie a try! You’ll thank me. I promise. ;)
And let’s all thank Cheryl for the idea!
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: ⅛ pie
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Sugar: 7g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 20g
- ⅓ cup almond butter (80g)
- ⅓ cup filtered water (79ml)
- ½ cup chocolate Warrior Blend protein powder (56g)
- 1 tablespoon black cocoa powder (5g)
- 1½ bananas, sliced (177g)
- 1 tablespoon agar powder (8g)
- ½ cup filtered water, heated to a boil (118ml)
- 1 teaspoon toffee stevia (5ml)
- 1 tablespoon carob powder (7.5g)
- 1 cup natural vanilla whey protein powder (96g)
- 1½ cup cashews (183g), soaked for 4 hours or more in filtered water
- ½ medium banana, mashed (59g)
- ½ cup filtered water (118ml)
- ¼ teaspoon toffee stevia (1.2ml)
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Start to make the crust by mixing the almond butter and water.
- Add in protein powder and cocoa. Mix well.
- Press crust into a 9" pie pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until cooked and firm.
- Meanwhile, make the cream topping by blending the ingredients until smooth (first rinse the cashews).
- Place cream topping in freezer to cool.
- Remove crust from the oven, and let cool. Turn off oven.
- Meanwhile, put agar in a small bowl and add boiling water. Mix with a whisk, and let cool slightly.
- Slice bananas for filling. Lay over crust.
- Add the rest of the filling ingredients to the agar mixture, and mix well.
- Pour agar mixture over banana layer.
- Set the pie in the freezer for about 30 minutes, until the filling is firm.
- Remove from the freezer and top with cream topping.
- Garnish with raw chocolate shavings, if desired (not included in macros).
The carob powder gives the caramel/toffee flavor, and shouldn't be replaced by cocoa.
The agar powder helps the filling set.
And almond butter can be made by processing almonds in a food processor.