Prot: 23 g, Carbs: 17 g, Fat: 5 g, Cal: 205
This is the recipe that inspired Protein Marshmallow Fluff week! I received a reader request from Andrea for Protein Whoopie Pies. She had seen recipes that used Greek yogurt or cream cheese in the filling, but was looking for something with a more traditional marshmallow cream filling. She noticed that I used ingredient combinations she hadn’t seen before, and wondered what I could come up with. And to that I said, “Challenge accepted!”
And so the marshmallow experiments began! I looked up many marshmallow recipes, and focused on the gelatin-free ones. I found many vegan marshmallow recipes using agar powder, and noticed that a few even spoke of marshmallow root. Intrigued, I went over to the Vitamin Shoppe website, and sure enough I found this alcohol-free marshmallow root extract. It’s not a typical flavor extract; it is used as a sore throat remedy. But it does offer the marshmallow flavor!
After quite a bit of experimentation, I developed a recipe for Protein Marshmallow Fluff! That alone as a filling for these Protein Whoopie Pies would be great, but I added in some Cashew Whipped Cream to thicken it up a bit. Either way, mission accomplished!
While experimenting for the cookie, I created this simple gluten-free, egg-free cake-like cookie recipe. And I have to say, it is amazing with the Vitamin Shoppe’s True Athlete chocolate whey protein. I have another chocolate whey that I use often (and also love), but the True Athlete whey has a creamy milk chocolate taste that gives these cookies amazing flavor! (It also makes a super-chocolatey shake. I highly recommend!)
So here you have it, for Day 3 of Protein Marshmallow Fluff week: Protein Whoopie Pies with marshmallow cream filling. Enjoy!
P.S. As I sit here writing, I have a Glow Baby Glow Toasted Marshmallow candle lit. Check out her candles, all soy, and amazing scents! I wasn’t really a candle person but was given one as a gift, and I’ve become a loyal customer. Love her stuff!
This post contains affiliate links to products I recommend. When you make purchases through these links, this blog makes a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting our work!
- Serves: 1
- Serving size: 1 whoopie pie
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Sugar: 8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 23g
- ¼ cup natural chocolate whey protein powder (26g)
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder (6g)
- 3 tablespoons natural (unsweetened) applesauce (42g)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (1.2ml)
- a pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Mix all cookie ingredients until well combined.
- Spoon cookie batter onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet (as 2 cookies) and use your spoon to shape them into circles.
- Bake for 5 minutes, and check to see if they are firm. If not, check every minute. Be sure not to over-bake these cookies! Take them out as soon as they are firm.
- Let cool.
- Mix filling ingredients.
- Turn over one cookie and spoon filling on top.
- Cover with the other cookie, and enjoy!