Prot: 22g, Carbs: 12g, Fat: 1g, Cal: 150
One of my favorite cupcake ideas, now made high-protein! Strawberry Ice Cream Cone Protein Cupcakes!
It’s probably no surprise that I was always the one in my family to bake for holidays and occasions. Years ago I came across this idea for cupcakes baked in ice cream cones, and I still love it! Always a crowd-pleaser, for kids and adults!
When I first thought of making a protein version, I kept envisioning the cupcakes being strawberry flavored. So when the Vitamin Shoppe asked me to create some recipes with their all-natural NutriWhey protein, I said, “Yes, please!” and requested their Alpine Strawberry flavored whey. I had purchased it a few times, and I love it! As a shake, it tastes like the strawberry milk I used to drink as a kid. It has bits of freeze-dried strawberries in it, and it is delicious!
NutriWhey protein powder bakes very well, and so the cake batter recipe is simple for these Strawberry Ice Cream Cone Protein Cupcakes. A little coconut flour, some applesauce, and baking powder. Easy!
Since just about all of the recipes on this blog are gluten-free, I figured I’d get some gluten-free ice cream cones, as well. After you bake the cupcakes, I suggest poking holes in the cones to keep them from getting wrinkly as they cool.
I like the way casein protein powder thickens as a frosting, so I’ve used it here with some sweetener. Since I used an unflavored casein, I added vanilla flavored stevia and some confectioners style erythritol.
All in all, these Strawberry Ice Cream Cone Protein Cupcakes are a hit! Give them a try!
This post contains affiliate links to products I recommend. When you make purchases through these links, this blog makes a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting our work!
- Serving size: 1 frosted cupcake cone
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Sugar: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 22g
- 1 cup Alpine Strawberry NutriWhey protein powder (96g)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour (14g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (4g)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (222g)
- 6 ice cream cones (gluten-free, if preferred) (18g)
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Set each cone in a mini-muffin tin, using a small piece of aluminum foil to keep it in place. Set aside.
- Mix together whey protein, coconut flour, and baking powder.
- Add applesauce, and mix well.
- Spoon cake batter into cones.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes, just until firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven, and poke holes in the cones (on bottom and around the sides).
- Let cupcakes cool.
- Mix together casein protein and confectioners erythritol.
- Add water, starting with ½ cup, until a frosting consistency is achieved.
- Add vanilla stevia. Mix well.
- Frost cupcakes, and top with all-natural sprinkles (optional). Enjoy!
If you count the carbs in the erythritol, it adds 5g per cupcake but does not change the calories.