Prot: 18 g, Carbs: 9 g, Fat: 6 g, Cal: 179 (per cupcake).
Your favorite Irish beer and liquors join your favorite chocolate protein powders for an amazing cupcake! These Guinness Whiskey Irish Cream Protein Cupcakes are indeed the protein bomb. ;)
When I realized St. Patrick’s Day was approaching, I started thinking about recipe ideas. The first thing I thought of was a chocolate stout cupcake. (I’m a big fan of the show Cupcake Wars, and I’ve seen a few stout cupcakes there.) I’ve also seen chocolate and whiskey paired together, so I googled “guinness whiskey chocolate cupcake” and came across a ton of traditional recipes for what I’ve made here.
The combination of Guinness, Jameson, and Baileys might seem strange if you’ve never heard of an Irish Car Bomb. But let me tell you, it is a fabulous combination. The Irish Car Bomb has a shot of Jameson topped with Baileys, which is dropped in a glass of Guinness, and chugged. Try it. You’ll thank me.
Baking with whey can sometimes lead to strangely shaped protein treats. I’ve noticed that using an electric mixer can help to some degree. But as you can see, some of my cupcakes have grown like a plant grows toward light. Strange. They’re still delicious, though!
I hope you’ll give these Guinness Whiskey Irish Cream cupcakes a try!
It’s a shame I had to buy such a large bottle of Jameson. Whatever will I do with it? ;)
This post contains affiliate links to products I recommend. When you make purchases through these links, this blog makes a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting our work!
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 179
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Sugar: 3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 18g
- 8 large egg whites (264g)
- ½ cup Guinness stout
- ¼ cup coconut flour (28g)
- ¼ cup almond meal (28g)
- ½ cup natural chocolate rice protein powder (56g)
- ½ cup natural chocolate whey protein powder (45g)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder (or cocoa powder) (11g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup natural chocolate whey protein powder (69g)
- ¼ cup Jameson whiskey
- 2-3 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in filtered water for 4 hours or more
- 2 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream
- ¼ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup natural chocolate whey protein powder (23g)
- Start by making the Irish cream frosting so it can cool while you bake. Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- Blend the cashews with the Irish cream, water, and whey until smooth.
- Put the frosting in a bowl, and let it firm up in the freezer while you make the cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 325F (163C).
- Put all the cupcake ingredients into a bowl, and mix well.
- Spoon batter into 12 silicone muffin cups.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, combine whey, whiskey, and water in a small bowl (start with 2 tablespoons of water, and add more by the teaspoon as needed). Mix until smooth.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, top with a layer of the whiskey ganache.
- Then frost with the Irish cream frosting. (I used a ziplock with the corner cut off and a large hole piping tip.)
- Store in the refrigerator.