I've been making lots of Key Lime Protein Chocolates lately, and I thought I'd switch it up. I thought I'd try something dramatically different, Lemon Cream Protein Chocolates! ;)
The coating is a delicious raw chocolate made from cacao powder, coconut oil, and agave nectar. The filling is vanilla whey with lemon juice and zest. Simple!
If you are intimidated by making molded chocolates, you can make an easier version as shown in this Facebook tutorial.
These Lemon Cream Protein Chocolates really are delicious. I hope you'll give them a try!
Lemon cream filling:
- ½ cup natural vanilla whey protein powder 45g
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice 46g
- zest of ½ lemon
- Make the chocolate coating by mixing coconut oil, agave, and cacao powder. If the mixture is lumpy, warm it by placing the bowl in a larger bowl of warm water. You’ll want the chocolate to be smooth, but thick enough to stick to the mold. If it gets too thin, let it cool slightly. (This is the only tricky part, getting the right consistency.)
- Fill the mold cavities about ½ way with the raw chocolate, and shift the mold so that the chocolate covers all sides of each cavity.
- Over a sheet of parchment paper, turn the mold over and pour out what hasn’t stuck to the mold.
- Using a bowl scraper or the back side of a knife, scrape off any excess chocolate from the top surface of the mold.
- Place the mold in the freezer for 3-5 minutes to set the chocolate. Also fold and freeze the parchment to cool the chocolate so you can peel it off and warm it up again.
- Meanwhile, mix the lemon juice, lemon zest, and whey protein.
- Remove the mold from the freezer. Fill the chocolates with the lemon cream filling, leaving a little room in each mold cavity for more chocolate.
- Top with remaining chocolate.
- Freeze for at least 10 minutes.
- Store in the freezer. If the chocolates freeze for several hours or more, leave them out for a few minutes before serving.