Creating this low carb protein waffle recipe took many iterations, but I had my mind set on mastering the Belgian protein waffle. And I did!
Perfect with a few strawberries and some cashew whipped cream!
A note about timing: try not to overcook the waffle, as it will lose its crispy-doughy texture. My original waffle iron isn't for sale anymore, but this budget-friendly waffle maker should be perfect!
- 4 large egg whites 132g
- ¼ teaspoon alcohol-free butterscotch flavor
- 1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole husk psyllium 10g
- 3 tablespoons unflavored pea protein powder 21g
- 3 tablespoons vanilla rice protein powder 21g
- 1-2 tablespoons water if necessary
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil to grease waffle iron, or non-stick cooking spray
- Mix egg whites with vanilla and butterscotch flavor.
- Add salt and psyllium husk. Mix to combine.
- Add protein powders. Mix well. If the batter is too thick to pour, add 1or 2 tablespoons of water and mix well.
- Brush waffle iron with coconut oil.
- Plug in waffle iron. Let the batter sit while the iron heats up. (This allows the psyllium to thicken the batter.)
- When waffle iron is ready, pour batter into iron. Close iron and cook for 5 minutes (timing may vary according to waffle iron).
- Top with cashew whipped cream and strawberries (not included in macros).
A note about substitutions: A pea protein blend like Warrior Blend can be substituted for both the pea and rice proteins. But because each type of protein powder has a distinct flavor and texture when baked, I would not try making other protein powder substitutions in this recipe.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 5g | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 1g
Tried this recipe?Mention and tag us! @proteincakery
Glad you are enjoying the recipes!
I don't think a whey/casein blend would give the same texture here. I wouldn't recommend that protein for this recipe. I'm going to be baking more with the Quest powder, so I should have more recipes soon!
How about the new Quest Protein mix in this recipe... Can I use it to sub the other protein powders?
I'm new to all getting more protein in my vegetarian diet and am loving your site!! Thank you!!
Glad you are enjoying the recipes! I think a vegan blend would be fine in place of the rice here. I've also tried this recipe with Warrior Blend vanilla in place of both pea and rice, and it came out well. Hope that helps!
Great recipes, recently found your page, and been trying few things, it sure shakes thibgs up in boring, clean diet.
Say, how do you think vegan blend protein would work in place of rice protein in this one?