Creating this low carb protein waffle recipe took many iterations, but I had my mind set on mastering the Belgian protein waffle. And I did!
Perfect with a few strawberries and some cashew whipped cream!
A note about timing: try not to overcook the waffle, as it will lose its crispy-doughy texture. My original waffle iron isn't for sale anymore, but this budget-friendly waffle maker should be perfect!
- 4 large egg whites 132g
- ¼ teaspoon alcohol-free butterscotch flavor
- 1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole husk psyllium 10g
- 3 tablespoons unflavored pea protein powder 21g
- 3 tablespoons vanilla rice protein powder 21g
- 1-2 tablespoons water if necessary
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil to grease waffle iron, or non-stick cooking spray
- Mix egg whites with vanilla and butterscotch flavor.
- Add salt and psyllium husk. Mix to combine.
- Add protein powders. Mix well. If the batter is too thick to pour, add 1or 2 tablespoons of water and mix well.
- Brush waffle iron with coconut oil.
- Plug in waffle iron. Let the batter sit while the iron heats up. (This allows the psyllium to thicken the batter.)
- When waffle iron is ready, pour batter into iron. Close iron and cook for 5 minutes (timing may vary according to waffle iron).
- Top with cashew whipped cream and strawberries (not included in macros).