Great lemon flavor with the perfect cookie texture, these Healthy Lemon Cookies are made with protein powder instead of flour and erythritol instead of sugar!
Erythritol is a natural sweetener with zero calories and low glycemic impact. Like sugar, it is white and comes in crystalized or powdered form. I used some in the cookie dough to sweeten the cookie, and then pressed the cookie into some erythritol for the sugar-like crystal topping.
This is my first time baking with a whey/casein blend, and I have to say I am a fan! (Watch my Recipe Basics video to see how different types of protein bake up very differently.) Too much casein doesn't sit well with my body, as it is very slow digesting. But I like how this Quest powder bakes up (the texture), and I'm excited to bake more with it. I guess I'll just have to share, and not eat the whole batch in one sitting! :)
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Mix protein powder, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon of erythritol.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, and coconut oil. Mix well. Use your hands to press the dough together.
- Separate into 8 pieces, and roll each into a ball. Set on a piece of parchment paper.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of erythritol on the parchment (not on the cookies).
- Press each cookie into the erythritol, flattening it out. Then place the cookie (erythritol side up) onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 13 minutes, or until firm.