I love bringing seasonal fruit into my protein baking recipes. When I came across sugar plums (Italian plums), I was inspired by some online recipes to create this delicious Sugar Plum Protein Corn Cake!
I used a mix of whey and rice proteins here to get the right texture, but you could probably replace them both with a nice vanilla pea protein or pea protein blend (Warrior Blend). I wouldn't use all whey or all rice, though. (See my Recipe Basics video for examples of what happens when you use the wrong kind of protein powder.)
If you can't find sugar plums, you can certainly use regular plums. Either way, this Sugar Plum Protein Corn Cake will be delicious! Give it a try!
- 8 large egg whites 264g
- ½ cup vanilla rice protein powder 56g
- ½ cup natural vanilla whey protein powder 45g
- ½ cup cornmeal 66g
- ¼ cup almond meal 28g
- 2 cups plums pitted and pulsed (330g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 5ml
- a pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Line a 7" square (or similarly sized) baking pan with parchment paper (if not using a silicone pan).
- Mix egg whites with dry ingredients (protein powders, cornmeal, almond meal, baking powder, and salt). Mix well.
- Fold in 1 cup of plums.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Top with remaining plums.
- Bake at 325F (163C) for about 30 minutes, until firm to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly, and cut into 6 pieces.
- Enjoy! Store in the fridge.
This looks delicious! I'll try this as soon as I buy some more protein powder!