I had a friend over to bake recently, and she wanted to make a lemon cake with vanilla frosting. So we created this Lemon Protein Cake with Vanilla Yogurt Protein Frosting! (Look how creamy that frosting is!)
I labeled this cake as "intermediate" only because of the effort involved. It's a simple recipe, but sometimes I'm just too lazy to zest a lemon. :)
We used the Sun Warrior Warrior Blend protein powder, as I have been often lately. It has a great flavor and texture!
We baked the cake as one cake and cut it lengthwise to make layers, as I did with my Confetti Birthday Protein Cake. The creamy frosting hides any bumps in the baked cake.
If you like lemon, you'll love this moist and delicious Lemon Protein Cake with Vanilla Yogurt Protein Frosting. And check out the amazing macros!
Lemon Protein Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Line a 7″ round baking pan (or similar size) with parchment paper (if not using silicone).
- Mix all the cake ingredients (by hand, electric mixer, or blender).
- Pour cake batter into pan.
- Bake at 325F (163C) for about 30 minutes, until the cake is firm to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting by mixing the ingredients until smooth.
- Set frosting in the freezer to firm up while the cake bakes and cools.
- Once cool, cut the cake lengthwise to make 2 layers.
- Frost bottom layer, then set top layer in place. Frost top and sides.
- Slice, and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator.
Almond meal can be made by pulsing almonds in a food processor. Sift out the large pieces and pulse again. Be careful not to overprocess, as this will give you almond butter.