I've been wanting to make Chocolate Fudge Protein Brownies for a while, but I was discouraged after my first chalky attempt. These, however, are completely redesigned and totally fudgey and delicious!
As with most recipes using whey protein, the key is not to over-bake these brownies. Whey tends to stiffen up when over-baked, and we want to keep these soft. And since there are no eggs in this batter, a fudgey under-baked brownie is perfectly fine!
Also, be sure to use a good natural chocolate whey protein. Nothing can ruin a recipe more than the taste of artificial flavors! I love the milk chocolate taste of True Athlete chocolate whey protein powder from the Vitamin Shoppe, and it makes for delicious Chocolate Fudge Protein Brownies!
Another thing to note: these stay well for a good week in the fridge! I was just away for a few days, and wondered what they would taste like when I returned. Happy to say they made for a delicious breakfast this morning! :)
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Line a 7" square (or similarly sized) pan with parchment paper (if not using silicone).
- Mix applesauce and almond butter well.
- Add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Pour batter into pan, and bake for 16-18 minutes (just until firm).
- Let cool slightly.
- Cut into 9 brownies, and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator.
And remember not to over-bake these brownies!
Also, almond butter can be made by processing almonds in a food processor.