I've been wanting to make Chocolate Fudge Protein Brownies for a while, but I was discouraged after my first chalky attempt. These, however, are completely redesigned and totally fudgey and delicious!
As with most recipes using whey protein, the key is not to over-bake these brownies. Whey tends to stiffen up when over-baked, and we want to keep these soft. And since there are no eggs in this batter, a fudgey under-baked brownie is perfectly fine!
Also, be sure to use a good natural chocolate whey protein. Nothing can ruin a recipe more than the taste of artificial flavors! I love the milk chocolate taste of True Athlete chocolate whey protein powder from the Vitamin Shoppe, and it makes for delicious Chocolate Fudge Protein Brownies!
Another thing to note: these stay well for a good week in the fridge! I was just away for a few days, and wondered what they would taste like when I returned. Happy to say they made for a delicious breakfast this morning! :)
- 1 cup natural unsweetened applesauce (222g)
- ⅓ cup almond butter 80g
- 1 cup natural chocolate whey protein powder 104g
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder 11g (or cocoa powder)
- 2 tablespoons date sugar 18g
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt 0.6ml
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Line a 7" square (or similarly sized) pan with parchment paper (if not using silicone).
- Mix applesauce and almond butter well.
- Add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Pour batter into pan, and bake for 16-18 minutes (just until firm).
- Let cool slightly.
- Cut into 9 brownies, and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator.
And remember not to over-bake these brownies!
Also, almond butter can be made by processing almonds in a food processor.
You might want to add a couple of teaspoons of coconut flour in place of the 2T cacao (as a dry ingredient) or lessen the applesauce a tiny bit. Coconut flour is very drying, though, so 2 teaspoons should do it, I think! Let me know how it goes!
If I use vanilla whey, and omit the cacao, do you think they would taste like blondies? I'm all out of chocolate whey right now and really want to try this! Thanks!
My pleasure! Thanks for writing in! :)
I made these yesterday. The BOMB!!!! Not only really good, but SUPER easy and not a lot of ingredients. Thanks!