I'm sure it's no secret that I love my Key Lime Protein Chocolates. And one day recently as I went to make some, I realized I had no limes. So I looked for my lemons. I was sure I had some lemons. Nope, no lemons. But I found an orange! And these Chocolate Orange Protein Dreams were born!
These are similar to my other filled chocolates, but here I used chocolate whey for the filling. The Vitamin Shoppe's True Athlete chocolate whey is so milk chocolatey, it's the perfect choice here! Also I chose to use stevia here instead of agave nectar to sweeten the raw chocolate coating without adding extra carbs.
As I often do for my protein chocolates, here I used this silicone mold and this candy funnel.
I'm sure these would be great with a splash of Curaçao liqueur, too! ;) (Replace a tablespoon of juice with the liqueur.)
Delicious Chocolate Orange Protein Dreams! A quick and easy protein treat!
Raw chocolate coating:
- ¼ cup raw coconut oil 56g
- 1 packet stevia 1g
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder 22g
Chocolate orange filling:
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice 45ml
- 1 teaspoon orange zest 5ml
- ½ cup natural chocolate whey protein powder 52g
- Make the chocolate coating by mixing coconut oil, stevia, and cacao powder. If the mixture is lumpy, warm it by placing the bowl in a larger bowl of warm water. You’ll want the chocolate to be smooth, but thick enough to stick to the mold. If it gets too thin, let it cool slightly. (This is the only tricky part, getting the right consistency.)
- Fill the mold cavities about ½ way with the raw chocolate, and shift the mold so that the chocolate covers all sides of each cavity.
- Over a sheet of parchment paper, turn the mold over and pour out what hasn’t stuck to the mold.
- Using a bowl scraper or the back side of a knife, scrape off any excess chocolate from the top surface of the mold.
- Place the mold in the freezer for 3-5 minutes to set the chocolate. Also fold and freeze the parchment to cool the chocolate so you can peel it off and warm it up again.
- Meanwhile, mix the orange juice, orange zest, and whey protein.
- Remove the mold from the freezer. Fill the chocolates with the chocolate orange filling, leaving a little room in each mold cavity for more chocolate.
- Top with remaining chocolate.
- Freeze for at least 10 minutes.
- Store in the freezer. If the chocolates freeze for several hours or more, leave them out for a few minutes before serving.
:) :) So happy to hear that, GiGi! Thanks for your support! Feels great to know that with your dietary restrictions you can enjoy the recipes I create!
STAPPPP IT!! OMG OMG I am dying over here. These are just... Like everything on your blog.... AMAZING! And I have all of these ingredients RIGHT NOW!