If you like waffles and chocolate cake, you're going to love this Double Chocolate Protein Waffle! It has that great waffle texture (a little bit crisp on the outside, doughy inside) with a great chocolate flavor. Perfect with some Chocolate Hazelnut Protein Frosting!
I often have half a waffle for breakfast or post-workout before I leave for work, and bring the other half with me. These protein waffles travel well (unfrosted) in a ziplock!
Be sure not to overcook your protein waffle, as it will lose the nice waffle-like texture. I use this awesome space-saving waffle maker, and 5 minutes is the perfect cook time.
The recipe and macros below are for just the waffle. For one Double Chocolate Protein Waffle and one serving of Chocolate Hazelnut Protein Frosting, you'd have: Prot: 71 g, Carbs: 25g (15g fiber, 4g sugar), Fat: 14 g, Cal: 508.
- 4 large egg whites 132g
- 1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole husk psyllium 10.5g
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder or cocoa powder (5.6g)
- 3 tablespoons unflavored pea protein 21g
- 3 tablespoons natural chocolate rice protein powder 21g
- 2-3 tablespoons filtered water
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil to grease waffle iron
- Mix egg whites with vanilla.
- Add psyllium husk. Mix to combine.
- Add cacao and protein powders. Mix well.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of water (until you get a batter consistency) and mix well.
- Brush waffle iron with coconut oil.
- Plug in waffle iron. Let the batter sit while the iron heats up. (This allows the psyllium to thicken the batter.)
- When waffle iron is ready, pour batter into iron. Close iron and cook for 5 minutes (timing may vary according to waffle iron).
- Top with Chocolate Hazelnut Protein Frosting (not included in macros).