Ever make a recipe and surprise yourself with just how good it comes out? That's what happened with these high protein baked donuts. "Wow!" I kept saying. You must try these! They are made with protein cake mix, and no yeast.
I made them with Proteinfull Baking's Classic Yellow Cake Mix, which has 15g protein per serving. I added a dash of nutmeg (not optional!) and glazed them with a mix of coconut oil and confectioners erythritol. The icing drizzle on top is confectioners erythritol with water. So easy!
The added nutmeg really does help them taste like donuts, so I highly recommend using it.
Give these donuts a try, and let me know what you think!
- 1 ⅓ cup Proteinfull Baking classic yellow cake mix 178g
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 7 tablespoons water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil or unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Add nutmeg to dry cake mix, and mix to combine.
- Add water, eggs, and oil (or applesauce). Mix until no lumps remain.
- Spray the donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour, pipe, or spoon batter into donut cavities in pan.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes if using a dark, non-stick pan (we made 6 donuts). Add a few minutes if using silicone pan. Subtract a few minutes if you are making 8 donuts.
- Let donuts cool completely. Chill in refrigerator while making the glaze and icing
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the melted coconut oil and confectioners erythritol.
- Dip cooled donuts in glaze, turning over to cover the entire donut. Lay on a parchment lined tray and refrigerate to set.
- Prepare icing by mixing water into confectioners erythritol. Once glaze is set on donuts, drizzle icing on top.
- Enjoy! And store refrigerated.