Tis the season for Samoa cookies, and I'm all about protein donuts right now, so… Samoa Protein Donuts! Or rather, Samoa-Inspired Protein Donuts. ;)
The whey/casein blend in Quest Protein Powder is great for baking, so I knew it would be easy to get a nice vanilla protein donut base. For the caramel layer, I melted half a Coconut Cashew Quest Bar and mixed it with a soaked medjool date. The date flavor and Quest bar consistency make it caramel-like, and we get a boost of coconut flavor, too! Instead of just sprinkling coconut on top, I upped the protein content by using egg whites and more Quest Protein Powder. Of course, there's a chocolate drizzle, too!
The result is delicious! A combination of flavors and textures to get your taste buds jumping! And check out the macros. This recipe is a total win!
If you love the flavors of Samoas, give these Samoa Protein Donuts a try!
- ½ Coconut Cashew Quest Bar
- 1 medjool date pitted and soaked in filtered water to soften (24g)
- 1 tablespoon of date water water used to soak the date (15ml)
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Start to make the donut base by mixing together the protein and baking powders.
- Add vanilla, egg whites, and coconut oil. Mix well.
- Pour batter into a ziplock bag, seal the bag, and cut a corner off. Pipe batter into a silicone mini donut pan. (This will be cleaner than trying to spoon the batter into the pan.) Set pan aside.
- Heat the caramel layer ingredients over a low flame. Continue to stir until the Quest bar has melted, and the date has broken up. Turn off flame, and set aside.
- Begin the coconut topping by beating the egg white until stiff.
- Gently whisk in the vanilla, protein powder, and sweetener.
- Fold in the shredded coconut.
- Spoon this mixture into another ziplock, cut off the corner, and set aside.
- Gently spoon the caramel layer over the donut batter.
- Pipe the coconut topping over the caramel layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, and check to see if the donut base is cooked (stick a toothpick in the base layer from the side) and the coconut topping begins to brown. If not ready, check every 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let cool.
- Mix chocolate ingredients, and drizzle over cooled donuts.