There's nothing quite like a cinnamon sugar cake donut for breakfast, and with this healthier version, you'll want to eat them every day! These baked cinnamon sugar donuts with protein use erythritol in place of sugar for a better-for-you donut. They make a great high protein breakfast or snack!
Important note: I originally made these donuts with a whey protein that is now discontinued, and I haven't quite found another protein shake powder that bakes as well. So I've updated the recipe to use Proteinfull Baking cake mix, which has the absolute best protein cake taste and texture you'll find!
Once you try the cake mix, I know you'll be hooked. So check out these other recipes using Proteinfull Baking cake mix: 🍩 glazed baked donuts, 🍌 banana walnut cake, 🍋 lemon bundt cake, and blueberry muffins with crumb topping 😍.
Full disclosure- I developed the recipes for Proteinfull Baking mixes. By far the best protein cake, and the best keto-friendly cake I've created or tasted. The texture is super soft and moist!
For the cake donut:
For the cinnamon sugar coating:
Preheat your oven to 325F (160C). (Use an oven thermometer for best results.)
Combine cake mixe with eggs, oil (or applesauce), and water. Mix just until no lumps remain.
Pour or pipe the batter into the donut pan.
Bake for 14-16 minutes.
Mix erythritol and cinnamon in a bowl.
Brush each donut with melted coconut oil (to make the coating stick), and dip into the coating.
Enjoy! Donuts can stay out for the day, but refrigerate for longer storage.
There is nothing like Proteinfull Baking mix, so I can't recommend any subs for that.
Other granulated sweeteners (ex. monk fruit erythritol blend) would also work for the coating.
You'll need a bowl to mix the batter, of course. If you're looking for nice mixing bowls, I love this set of mixing bowls from Target. It is reasonably priced, and the bottoms of the bowls have rubber for non-slip mixing.
These donuts can stay out for the day, but I suggest refrigerating for longer storage (up to a week).
🍩 More yummy recipes using Proteinfull Baking mix
- 1 package Proteinfull Baking Classic Yellow Cake Mix
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons oil or unsweetened applesauce
- 7 tablespoons water
- dash nutmeg
- dash cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Combine the donut ingredients (not including the coating), and mix well.
- Spoon into a ziplock bag, and cut off the corner to pipe these into your donut pan (or you can just spoon the batter into the pan).
- Bake for 14-16 minutes if using a dark, non-stick pan. Add a few minutes if using silicone pan.
- Remove from oven, and let cool. Then remove from pan.
- Mix erythritol and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Brush each donut with melted coconut oil (to make the coating stick), and dip into the coating.
- Enjoy! Donuts can stay out for the day, but refrigerate for longer storage.