I was excited to receive beautiful rainbow carrots from my CSA this year, and I turned them into this delicious Ricotta Tart with Rainbow Carrots. Whenever I receive something interesting in the farm share, I look for recipes online. After receiving the rainbow carrots, I came across this recipe for a Roasted Rainbow Carrot Tart, and I knew I would have to make a high-protein version!
Although the recipe was already very healthy, I wanted to up the protein content by using my own crust recipe. I also left out some added sweeteners, and used a part-skim ricotta.
I started by roasting the carrots with a little olive oil. (I separated the different colors into different sections because I had a feeling the purple color would run, and I wanted pretty pictures for the blog.)
While the carrots cooled, I baked the crusts for about 10 minutes. Then put the tartes together and baked for an additional 12 minutes. All in all, a pretty easy recipe.
The result was a deliciously creamy, filling savory tarte! The perfect warm meal for these cold winter days we're having in New York right now!
- 3 medium rainbow carrots
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups part-skim ricotta
- 1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon and a dash each of ground nutmeg, ginger, and cloves
- a pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C).
- Cut carrots into ½ inch slices. Toss with olive oil.
- Spread carrots out in a foil lined baking pan, and roast for about 20 minutes (or until slightly browned).
- Meanwhile, prepare the crust by first mixing the almond butter and water.
- Add the rest of the crust ingredients and mix well. If the mixture is too sticky (sticks to your fingers), add a little more rice protein.
- Press crust mixture into two 6-inch tarte pans.
- Remove carrots from oven (when ready) and turn the oven down to 325F (163C).
- Bake the crusts for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the ricotta filling.
- Remove crusts from oven (when ready) and let cool slightly. Fill with ricotta mixture and top with roasted carrots.
- Bake for about 12 mintues more at 325F (163C).