I thought about calling these Blueberry Protein Donuts because of their soft, cake-like texture. But they really do taste more like a bread, as I intended. So they are Blueberry Protein Bagels! And they're delicious with some Neufchâtel cheese! I was looking to make a different kind of bread recently while meal-prepping, and blueberry bread came to mind. But I didn't want a sweet bread, like a banana bread. I wanted something like a blueberry bagel.
So I took out my bagel/donut pan and got to work! I used an unflavored whey concentrate that gives a great soft texture to these Blueberry Protein Bagels. And I used frozen wild blueberries. If you use fresh blueberries, you may need to reduce the bake time.
Since I'm calling these bagels and I'm from New York City, I feel like I should put a disclaimer on this recipe. These are not crispy-on-the-outside, doughy-on-the-inside bagels. This is a protein bread recipe in bagel form. And it's delicious! Try them!
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Except for blueberries, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spray your donut pan with non-stick cooking spray. If using a silicone pan, set it on a cookie sheet for stability.
- Pour or spoon batter into the donut cavities.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, or just until firm and a toothpick comes out clean. Don't overbake!
- Let cool and remove from pan. (Turn them over for more of a bagel look.)
- Enjoy! Store in the refrigerator.