Another delicious treat from my CSA last summer was a bunch of Chardonnay grapes. I had just started planning for this blog, and I couldn't think of a better way to use them than to bake them into a Chardonnay Grape Protein Cake!
I had these big plans of seeding the grapes and using some kind of grape mash, but really what happened is that I was left with juice. (So you could just as easily make this cake with some store-bought grape juice!) The flavor of these grapes is mild, and gave a delicious sweetness to the cake.
Although the cake itself was great, I added a lemon-grape protein icing for an extra kick of flavor and texture.
Chardonnay Grape Protein Cake, a sweet and delicious way to hit your macros!
- 3 tablespoons Chardonnay grape juice 45ml or 43g
- ½ cup unflavored whey protein powder 45g
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest or to taste
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Line a 6" round (or similarly sized) pan with parchment paper (if not using a silicone pan).
- Blend egg whites for 30 seconds.
- Add juice and blend for 10 seconds more.
- Add remaining cake ingredients and blend for 30 seconds more or until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the cake is firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cake is cooled, mix the icing ingredients.
- Pour icing over cake. Slice, and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator.
Almond meal can be made by pulsing almonds in a food processor. Sift out the large pieces and pulse again. Be careful not to overprocess, as this will give you almond butter.