It has been getting quite cold in New York City, and I will take any opportunity to escape. Today I hopped a flight to Miami, but before I left I absolutely had to make a new recipe! I wanted something quick and easy for an in-flight snack, and something easy for you to make for Valentine's Day. Vegan Chocolate Cookies!
These cookies are similar to other vegan ones I've made, with a base of nut butter and plant-based protein powder. You can easily switch out flavors here to your favorite combination, too. I used cashew butter and chocolate Plnt protein powder from the Vitamin Shoppe. The Plnt powders have a very fine texture, and I love how they bake!
I also added some Plnt stevia to sweeten them up a bit. Without a sticky ingredient like whey or agave, and without a binding ingredient like an egg, these cookies are a bit fragile. If you don't need them to be vegan, you might want to sub out some of the water for an egg or a couple of egg whites. A flax egg might help, too. But these Vegan Chocolate Cookies took the flight with me and held up pretty well, anyway. Besides, I don't mind them being delicate. Hearts are supposed to be delicate, aren't they?
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Mix cashew butter and ⅓ cup almond milk until smooth.
- Add protein powder, cocoa, and stevia. Mix well, using your hands, if necessary. If the mix is too crumbly, add more almond milk by the teaspoon.
- Press or roll onto a sheet of parchment.
- Use a cookie cutter to shape cookies, and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until firm.
- Let cool, and enjoy! Store in the refrigerator.