I'm a big fan of the raw foods recipe blog Fragrant Vanilla Cake, and when I saw Amy's post for Raw Cacao Hazelnut Fudge, I kept looking back at the page. I knew I had to make a protein version, so here you have The BEST Protein Fudge! It is amazing!
What I love most about this recipe is that it reminds me so much of raw desserts. The unflavored whey in the base really lets the coconut shine through! To me this tastes like a delicious date-sweetened coconut raw fudge (even though there aren't any dates in this). I love it!
Even though this recipe calls for a little more work than a regular protein fudge recipe, it is still an easy recipe. And well worth it! I hope you'll give it a try!
Ingredients for both layers:
Added for the base layer:
- Line a loaf (or similarly sized) pan with parchment paper.
- Mix coconut and hazelnut butters until combined. Set aside.
- Mix the base layer ingredients in one bowl, the top layer in another. Mix each one well.
- Mix half the coconut-hazelnut butter mix into the base layer, and the other half into the top layer.
- Mix each well.
- Pour the base layer into the parchment-lined pan. Spread evenly.
- Spoon the top layer over the base. Spread evenly.
- Let freeze several hours, until the fudge peels cleanly from the parchment.
- Cut into 18 pieces, garnish with cacao nibs (optional, not included in the macros), and enjoy!
- Store in the freezer.
Hazelnut butter can be made by processing hazelnuts in a food processor.