It has been cold and snowy here in New York City, and I find myself craving peppermint sweets. This peppermint swirl protein fudge is the perfect chewy, chocolatey peppermint treat!
I started with my double chocolate protein fudge recipe, but doubled it. To make the peppermint swirl, I mixed some unflavored whey protein powder with a little coconut flour, raw agave, water, and peppermint flavoring. A delicious combination!
I think it is important to use alcohol-free peppermint flavoring here, since this isn't a cooked recipe. Extracts containing alcohol really upset the natural flavors, in my opinion.
After putting the chocolate batter in a lined pan, I spooned the peppermint batter on top and swirled it with a butter knife. Because this was a larger pan of fudge, it needed several hours in the freezer to set.
And it was certainly worth the wait! Peppermint swirl protein fudge, my new winter favorite!
- Line a loaf pan (or similar sized pan) with parchment paper.
- To make the chocolate batter, start by mixing the whey powder with the cocoa.
- Add the water, and mix well.
- Add the almond butter and salt. Mix well.
- Spoon the batter into the pan, and set aside.
- To make the peppermint batter, start by mixing the whey powder with the water.
- Add peppermint extract and agave. Mix well.
- Add coconut flour. Mix well.
- Spoon peppermint batter on top of chocolate batter in pan. (Do not cover all of the chocolate batter.)
- Use the back of a butter knife to swirl the fudge batters.
- Freeze for several hours, until the parchment peels cleanly from the fudge.
- Cut into squares, and enjoy! Store in the freezer.