We're finishing up our first Reader Request Week with these Chocolate and Peanut Butter Protein Buckeyes!
Traditional buckeyes call for butter and confectioner's sugar, so I had some work to do! I used some butterscotch flavoring to replace the butter flavor, and I found the protein powder to be sweet enough (although you can always add some stevia). I used stevia in the chocolate coating to keep the carbs down, as well. If you liked my Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Eggs, you'll love these, too!
- Mix the peanut butter, water, and flavorings.
- Add protein powder.
- Line a small tray with parchment paper.
- Form the peanut butter protein mix into little balls, and place on the parchment-lined tray.
- Put them in the freezer for a few minutes, and mix the ingredients for the chocolate coating.
- Remove peanut butter balls from the freezer, and insert a toothpick into each.
- Holding them by the toothpick, dip each in the chocolate coating and place back on parchment-lined tray.
- Place the tray in the freezer for a few minutes, then repeat the previous step, giving each piece a double coating of chocolate.
- Remove toothpicks, and smooth over the hole with your finger.
- Freeze for a few minutes more to set.
- Enjoy! and store in the refrigerator.