With the 4th of July quickly approaching, it's time to plan the healthy desserts for your celebration. And it wouldn't be an Independence Day barbecue without a flag cake, so I present you this Protein Flag Cake!
I remember the first time I saw this type of cake. It was part of the coupon insert in the Sunday newspaper. And I was amazed! I was probably 10 or 11 years old, and I remember thinking, "Whoever thought of this brilliant idea?!?" And since then, I've seen this kind of cake every year for July 4th celebrations. Now that I'm protein baking, it was only fitting to make a Protein Flag Cake!
Not only does it look great, but it's delicious! It is a sweet vanilla protein cake topped with sweetened (with stevia) cashew cream and fresh berries. A delicious combination! (The photo above is ⅛ of the cake, which I realized was a bit large. I'm recommending this to be 12 servings, instead.)
And I'm using Warrior Blend vanilla protein powder, a pea protein blend that bakes up very well.
Perfect for summer or after a heavy meal, this Protein Flag Cake is a light protein treat. And it is bursting with berry flavor!
- 16 large egg whites 528g
- 1 ½ cups Warrior Blend Vanilla protein powder 150g
- ½ cup almond flour 56g
- ½ teaspoon toffee Sweet Drops 2.5ml
- 2 teaspoons baking powder 10ml
- ½ cup blueberries 74g
- 2 ½ cups strawberries 350g, quartered
- 1 ½ cups cashew whipped cream sweetened with stevia
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Line a 13x9" (33x23cm) pan with parchment paper (if not using a silicone pan).
- Mix or blend all cake ingredients until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cake is firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, top the cake with cashew whipped cream.
- Make the flag design by first placing blueberries, then following with strawberry stripes.
- Slice, and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator.
Leave a Reply