With great cake texture and a delicious combination of flavors, these Star Anise Pear Protein Cupcakes are a fall favorite!
I first made these last year after coming home from the caribbean with star anise, and after receiving lots of pears in my CSA share. I looked online for recipe ideas and came across this recipe for Pear and Anise Cupcakes. I thought the cupcakes were adorable, and wanted to recreate them. :) So here you have Star Anise Pear Protein Cupcakes!
The combination of ingredients in the cake mix works very well and gives a great cake texture. And the pear adds just enough sweetness.
The frosting is a pear-cashew protein cream, using soaked raw cashews as a base (like my Cashew Whipped Cream). The pears in the frosting add a nice sweetness to the cream, and you don't really taste the cashews. Keep in mind, though, that because the cream contains fresh pears, it will begin to discolor over time. (It will still taste great, but if you're making these cupcakes for company, I would make the frosting soon before serving.)
As delicious as they are pretty, these Star Anise Pear Protein Cupcakes are another great way to hit your macros! Give them a try!
- 12 silicone cupcake cups
Star anise pear cake:
Pear-cashew protein cream frosting:
- 1 cup raw cashews 122g, soaked for 4 hours or more in filtered water
- ¼ cup vanilla whey protein powder 23g
- 1 medium pear 178g, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Start to make the cake batter by blending the pear and egg whites until smooth.
- Add remaining cake ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour batter into 12 silicone cupcake cups.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking, rinse the cashews.
- Blend rinsed cashews with whey and pear until smooth. Set in the freezer of refrigerator to cool as cupcakes finish baking.
- Let cupcakes cool to room temperature.
- Frost cupcakes, and enjoy!
If you are using ground anise (different than ground star anise), you may need a little more. Taste your batter!