Looking for a delicious high-protein, low-sugar birthday cake? This Protein Birthday Cake is it! It's packed with flavor and protein, easy to make, and naturally gluten free. You can even prepare it as a keto birthday cake! 🥳
This protein cake has the best texture and flavor of any I've ever made. It's made with keto-friendly Proteinfull Baking cake mix, and (full disclosure) I developed the recipe for them. The combination of almond protein, whey protein, and flax protein gives it the amazing cake texture you see here. So soft and moist!
If you like this recipe, take a look at some other recipes here using Proteinfull Baking cake mix: Banana Walnut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, Blueberry Muffins, Glazed Cake Donuts, and Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. The mix is so versatile!
For the three-layer cake shown here, I used two bags of Proteinfull Baking cake mix.
To prepare the mixes, you'll need:
- oil or unsweetened applesauce
I frosted the cake with our Easy Sugar Free Frosting.
I used these great all-natural sprinkles 🥳 and these beautiful colorful tall candles.
Preheat your oven to 325F (160C). (Use an oven thermometer for best results.)
Line the bottom of three 8" round pans with parchment paper, and then spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine cake mixes with eggs, oil (or applesauce), and water. Mix just until no lumps remain.
Pour the batter evenly divided into the three pans.
Bake for 24-28 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool for about 10 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans. Then cool completely before frosting.
Layer and frost the cake. (This is a helpful video on how to frost a layer cake.)
Add sprinkles, slice, and enjoy! 🥳
The oil can be replaced with unsweetened applesauce or Greek yogurt.
In the photos here, I prepared the cake mix with unsweetened applesauce (instead of oil), used double the frosting recipe, and used natural (sugar-sweetened) sprinkles. Admittedly, it's a lot of frosting.
To lessen the calories and fat, use only a single recipe of sugar free frosting.
For a keto birthday cake (4g net carbs per serving), prepare the cake mix using oil and use sugar free natural sprinkles.
One thing to keep in mind, though, is that naturally colored sprinkles don't make a great funfetti cake. The natural colors bake out when they are in the cake batter, and you'll lose much of the color. Traditional sprinkles are the way to go for a funfetti cake!
You'll need an oven, a large mixing bowl, three 8" round pans, and 8" parchment rounds.
It'll be helpful to have an oven thermometer to be sure your oven is at the correct temperature, and a rubber spatula to get every last bit of batter into the pans.
For frosting the cake, it would helpful to have piping bags, a large offset spatula, and a cake scraper.
The cake (frosted or unfrosted) will store well refrigerated or frozen. Bring to room temperature to soften the frosting before eating.
⚡️ Meal prep tip
Refrigerate or freeze individual portions! 🍰
🍰 More recipes using Proteinfull Baking Cake Mix
- 2 bags Proteinfull Baking cake mix
- 6 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons oil or unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- 2 recipes Easy Sugar Free Frosting (Keto Vanilla Buttercream)
- 2 tablespoons all-natural sprinkles (with sugar) or
- 2 tablespoons all-natural sugar free sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 325F (160C). (Use an oven thermometer for best results.)
- Line the bottom of three 8" round pans with parchment paper, and then spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine cake mixes with eggs, oil (or applesauce) and water. Mix just until no lumps remain.
- Pour the batter evenly divided into the three pans.
- Bake for 24-28 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans. Then cool completely before frosting.
- Layer and frost the cake. (This is a helpful video on how to frost a layer cake.)
- Add sprinkles, slice, and enjoy!
- The cake will store well (frosted or unfrosted) refrigerated or frozen.
Dear heavens! This is stunning Andréa!! Looks to die for!