Perfect for your keto and protein cake creations, this easy sugar free frosting is a great vanilla buttercream that can stand up to layer cakes and piping. Happy frosting! 🧁
The secret ingredient in this frosting is casein protein powder. The casein thickens up the frosting, which helps it hold up with layer cakes and piping without over-sweetening the frosting.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy our Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting, Healthy Chocolate Frosting, and Cashew Whipped Cream.
And if you need a cake recipe to go with this easy sugar free frosting, check out our Keto Protein Birthday Cake (pictured above).
- Butter (unsalted)
- Shortening (we suggest Spectrum Organic)
- Confectioners erythritol (we used Swerve here, but Anthony's is also great)
- Alcohol-free vanilla extract or a good quality vanilla extract with alcohol, like this Bourbon vanilla (lesser quality alcohol-based vanilla extract can give a bad alcohol taste in unbaked recipes)
- Casein protein powder (optional, but it helps thicken the frosting)
Beat the butter, shortening, and vanilla on medium-high speed until smooth (scrape down the sides as necessary).
Beat on low speed as you add the confectioners erythritol and casein. Then on high until light and fluffy (a few minutes).
That's it! I told you it was easy. :)
Feel free to use all butter or all shortening (or vegan butter replacement).
You'll need a mixer. I used this reasonably priced stand mixer, but a hand mixer would work just as well. If you need mixing bowls, I love this set of mixing bowls from Target.
It would also be helpful to have a rubber spatula to get all the frosting out of the bowl.
For piping, these are my favorite piping bags. They are made of a smooth plastic that doesn't stick to itself or to your bowl scraper as you push the frosting down the bag.
And I always suggest measuring your ingredients with a kitchen scale instead of using volume measurements.
Store the frosting in the refrigerator in an air-tight container and bring to room temperature before using. You may want to mix it again for a couple of minutes before frosting your cake.
🧁 More frosting and topping recipes
- 1 ½ sticks butter (¾ cup)
- ¼ cup shortening (we suggest Spectrum Organic Shortening)
- 2 tablespoons alcohol free vanilla extract or a good Bourbon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups confectioners erythritol (we used Swerve, but Anthony's confectioners erythritol is also great)
- 1 ½ tablespoons casein protein powder
- Beat the butter, shortening, and vanilla on medium-high speed until smooth (scrape down the sides as necessary).
- Beat on low speed as you add the confectioners erythritol and casein. Then on high until light and fluffy (a few minutes).
Leave a Reply