I love croutons! So it was only a matter of time before I created a recipe for Protein Croutons!
Before creating this recipe, I hadn't ever made my own croutons. And when I looked for traditional crouton recipes, I found it quite annoying that most recipes would just list the herbs as if we're supposed to know how much to use. (If I knew that, why would I need a recipe??) So I made these croutons several times to make sure I got the right amount of herbs, and to make sure I got the right cook time for the protein bread I used.
I made these croutons from my Basic Protein Bread, which is gluten-free, grain-free, and has only 3 ingredients! I tossed the protein bread cubes in olive oil, and added lots of flavor with dried herbs.
I find it easiest to toss the protein bread cubes in olive oil by letting the oil makes its way around a big ziplock bag, then adding the cubes and shaking it all up.
I then add the herbs, and shake some more. Bake them up, and voilà! Protein Croutons!
I then store them in the same ziplock bag in the refrigerator.
Crunchy and full of flavor, these Protein Croutons are a great way to add protein to your favorite soup or salad!
- ½ loaf of Basic Protein Bread
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 15ml
- ½ teaspoon sea salt 2.5ml
- ½ teaspoon onion powder 2.5ml
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder 5ml
- ½ tablespoon dried basil 7.5ml
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley 15ml
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C).
- Cut the protein bread into small cubes (about ½").
- Pour the olive oil into a large ziplock bag (and zip it closed), and move the bag so the oil gets all around the bag.
- Add the protein bread cubes (and zip it closed), and toss the bag around so the cubes get tossed in the olive oil.
- Mix the salt, powders, and herbs in a small bowl, then add to the ziplock bag. Zip the bag closed and toss again, until the bread cubes are covered with the mixture.
- Pour bread cubes into a foil-lined baking pan (mine was 13x9x2 inches).
- Bake at 300F (150C) for 30 minutes, stirring the croutons in the pan after 15 minutes.
- Let cool, and enjoy!
- Store in the same ziplock bag, in the refrigerator.