A holiday favorite made healthy and high-protein! This sweet potato pie with protein has no added sugar and is gluten free. And it's delicious!
Similar to my Pumpkin Protein Pie, the recipe for this sweet potato protein pie starts with a traditional recipe and makes some simple substitutions. Instead of sweetened evaporated milk, I'm using vanilla whey protein mixed with water. And instead of a traditional crust, I'm using a protein crust made with vanilla rice or pea protein and almond butter. Now you can enjoy holiday pie while fueling your body!
Give this recipe a try!
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- In a medium bowl, mix almond butter with water until smooth.
- Add in rice protein and cinnamon. Mix until combined. (If the batter is sticky, add a little more rice protein.)
- Press into 9" pie pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, puree sweet potato with ½ cup water.
- Pour into a bowl, and add eggs. Mix until smooth.
- Combine with remaining ingredients (including the remaining ½ cup water) and mix well.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until the center of the pie is firm to the touch.
- Let cool completely.
- Top with Cashew Whipped Cream (if desired, not included in macros) and enjoy!