These rich chocolate cake-like cookies with protein marshmallow filling are such a treat! These protein whoopie pies are packed with 23g protein each and are naturally egg free and gluten free. Give them a try!
The filling here is a combo of Protein Marshmallow Fluff and Cashew Whipped Cream, but you could certainly use all fluff or other cream fillings.
If you like the cookies in this recipe, have a look at these Chocolate Whey Protein Cookies, these Pumpkin Pecan Protein Cookies, these Black and White Protein Cookies, and these Very Strawberry Protein Cookies. So much yum!
For the cookie:
- Chocolate whey protein powder
- Cocoa powder
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Baking powder
- Sea salt (or regular salt)
For the filling:
Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
Mix all cookie ingredients until well combined.
Spoon cookie batter onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet (as 2 cookies) and use your spoon to shape them into circles.
Bake for 5 minutes, and check to see if they are firm. If not, check every minute. Be sure not to over-bake these cookies! Take them out as soon as they are firm.
Mix filling ingredients.
Turn over one cookie and spoon filling on top.
Cover with the other cookie, and enjoy!
This recipe works well with whey protein, and I wouldn't try substituting other types of protein powder in the cookie recipe.
Feel free to use your own cream filling if there's something easier you have on hand!
The cookie recipe would be great with any whey protein flavor!
I use this strawberry whey protein in a similar recipe for whey protein cookies, and this vanilla whey in these Pumpkin Pecan Protein Cookies.
You'll need a cookie sheet. I like these Airbake cookie sheets because they keep the bottom of cookies from burning.
I suggest lining the cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup and to keep the cookies from sticking to the pan (whey cookies have the tendency to stick!).
I also suggest using an oven thermometer so you can see when your oven is actually preheated, and that it is to the right temperature.
Of course, you're also going to need a mixing bowl. I love this mixing bowl set from Target because it is super easy to clean, dries quickly, and the bowls have rubber on the bottom so they don't slide.
And I strongly encourage you to measure ingredients with a kitchen scale instead of volume measurements.
The cookies (without filling) will stay well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days. I would fill them just before eating.
🍪 More whey protein cookie recipes
- ¼ cup chocolate whey protein powder 26g
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder 6g
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce 42g
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt (or regular salt)
- ¼ cup Protein Marshmallow Fluff
- 1 tablespoon Cashew Whipped Cream
- 1 drop marshmallow root extract or marshmallow flavor
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Mix all cookie ingredients until well combined.
- Spoon cookie batter onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet (as 2 cookies) and use your spoon to shape them into circles.
- Bake for 5 minutes, and check to see if they are firm. If not, check every minute. Be sure not to over-bake these cookies! Take them out as soon as they are firm.
- Let cool.
- Mix filling ingredients.
- Turn over one cookie and spoon filling on top.
- Cover with the other cookie, and enjoy!
My pleasure! Thank you for the great idea! :)
Thank you so much for the time and energy you put into this! I'm going to make them this weekend. You're so clever with your ingredients.