Prot: 8 g, Carbs: 3 g, Fat: 0 g, Cal: 44
When I first tried to make protein bread, something was off about the taste. It tasted good, but it tasted more like a pretzel than bread. So I bought a pretzel pan, and now I make protein pretzels!
The pretzel taste really comes from the Sun Warrior Classic Protein Powder in Natural flavor. When I tried the recipe with pea protein powder, the consistency was the same, but it lost the pretzel taste.
Because the recipe makes a batter and not a dough, it can’t be twisted and formed into the pretzel shape. It needs to be piped into a pretzel shape. I bought this pretzel baking pan, but you can probably just pipe the pretzels onto a parchment-lined baking pan. No need for fancy piping tools, though; I pour the batter into a large ziplock, and cut off the corner of the bag. Works perfectly!
Sometimes I sprinkle a little coarse salt on top, but usually I dip them in some spicy mustard. So good!
Soft and doughy, New York City style protein pretzels. But their macros are so much better. ;)
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 pretzel
- Calories: 44
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Sugar: 0g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 8g
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Mix all ingredients, and let the batter sit for 10 minutes to thicken up.
- Pour the batter into a large ziplock bag (or piping bag), and twist the top to keep the batter in place. Cut off one corner of the ziplock bag.
- Pipe the batter into a greased (with coconut oil or non-stick cooking spray) pretzel pan or onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, until firm.
- Remove from baking pan, and sprinkle with coarse salt (optional).