A remake of the traditional, unhealthy packaged coffee cake treat. This Protein Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping is a high-protein, gluten-free version!
These would make a great breakfast or afternoon snack!
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy this Healthy Banana Nut Bread with added whey protein, these Apple Peanut Protein Muffins made with powdered peanut butter, and these Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins made with a pea protein blend.
- Quest multi-purpose protein powder (or vanilla flavor)
- brown rice flour
- baking powder
- ground nutmeg
- ground cinnamon
- unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
- vanilla extract
- coconut oil
- Cinnamon Roll Quest Bar
Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
Mix protein powder, rice flour, baking powder, stevia, and nutmeg to combine.
Add almond milk and vanilla. Mix well.
Spoon into three silicone muffin cups. Place on cookie sheet and set aside.
Mix the stevia, cinnamon, and brown rice flour to combine.
Add coconut oil. Mix well.
Add chopped Quest bar.
Sprinkle crumble topping on top of cake batter in each muffin cup.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, just until firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool, and remove from muffin cups. Enjoy!
Quest protein powder is a whey/casein blend. If you want to substitute another protein powder, be sure it is also a whey/casein blend. Whey protein would not be a good substitute in this recipe.
If you'd like to use a different flour, I'd recommend oat flour. If you want to try coconut flour, you'd probably need only half as much as the recipe calls for.
You're going to need a mixing bowl, of course. I love this mixing bowl set from Target because it is super easy to clean, dries quickly, and the bowls have rubber on the bottom so they don't slide.
You'll need large muffin cups. You can use a metal jumbo muffin tin with paper liners, or you can use these large silicone muffin cups.
You'll need a cookie sheet to put the silicone cups on. I like these Airbake cookie sheets because they keep the bottom of cookies from burning and distribute heat better.
I also suggest using an oven thermometer so you can see when your oven is actually preheated, and that it is to the right temperature.
And I strongly encourage you to measure ingredients with a kitchen scale instead of volume measurements.
I would keep these in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or so, or in the refrigerator for longer storage.
I haven't tried freezing these, but I think they'd store well frozen if wrapped in plastic wrap and then in an airtight container.
⚡️ Top tip
Read the Substitutions section!
For more high protein breakfast ideas, check out this post on protein powder breakfast recipes.
- ½ cup Quest multi-purpose protein powder 36g (or vanilla flavor)
- 3 tablespoons brown rice flour 23g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 4g
- 2 packets stevia 2g
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk 120ml
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5ml
- 2 packets stevia 2g
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon 1g
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown rice flour 11g
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted 14g
- 1 Cinnamon Roll Quest Bar chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C).
- Mix protein powder, rice flour, baking powder, stevia, and nutmeg to combine.
- Add almond milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Spoon into three silicone muffin cups. Place on cookie sheet and set aside.
- Mix the stevia, cinnamon, and brown rice flour to combine.
- Add coconut oil. Mix well.
- Add chopped Quest bar.
- Sprinkle crumble topping on top of cake batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, just until firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool, and remove from muffin cups. Enjoy!
I think it is just brown rice flour, which is fluffier than oat or wheat flours. The recipe might just turn out a little more dense with other flours. Let us know how it goes!
I'm so excited to start baking with my new Quest Multi-Purpose mix. I can't get my hands on their brown rice powder in my location. Is this just brown rice flour? Are there any other flours that I could substitute (oat flour or wheat flour - I don't have a gluten-sensitivity to content with)?
My pleasure, Sara! Thanks for the great idea! :)
Thank you SO much for making my protein dessert dream come true! Now I need to make an emergency Vitamin Shoppe stop to make these bad boys. ;)